Saturday, March 22, 2008

Range Report

After today's ride, yesterweek's suckitude, and since the range is closed tomorrow for Easter Sunday, I decided that going to the range to put down 500 rounds was in order, so I went and got my name on the list. While waiting, I loaded magazines and watched the other shooters from the lounge area. Across the lounge, a couple guys sat down and started talking loudly:

Guy 1: "Hey, you know that 'kle' guy from OCDO?" (my ears perked up--I'm kle from OCDO)
Guy 2: "Yeah, what about him?"
Guy 1: "He can't shoot worth crap!" I chimed in at this point, with a knowing-grin.
Me: "Oh yeah? Well I'll tell him next time I see him!" I raised my hand in greeting. "Hi, I'm kle from OCDO."
Guy 1: "Yeah, we know--just wanted to see if we could get your attention!"

And I scooted over and joined in on their conversation. Guy 2 turned out to be the user 'unrequited' from OCDO (I forget who Guy 1 was). We then encountered a guy who, apparently, was a Patent Attorney and a Patent Officer who had also spoken at the last VCDL meeting (which was apparently a media circus regarding several 2nd Amendment current issues). We shot the shit about the USPTO and how it sucks until my name came up.

I got out on the range and loaded up my P7M10 and put 30 satisfying rounds through it. Either my hands and arms had been toughened up from the ride this morning (with its incessant road vibration from the rough roads while gripping a curved tube that approximates a firearms grip), or I'm getting less and less recoil sensitive, but the recoil from the P7M10 felt a lot softer than before. Good deal.

Then I put 50 rounds through my 10/22 at 150 feet--good times; I managed to keep all the shots in the 8" black center. Not too bad (in my opinion) from a standing, scoped rifle...

Finally, I got to the real reason I was there: to put more rounds through my '617, shooting the Metro Pistol League bullseye course of fire (20 rounds slowfire at 50 yards, 20 rounds timed fire at 25 yards, 20 rounds rapid fire at 25 yards).

I got the "time's up" and packed up and...headed over to Unrequited's lane, where they were showing a new guy how to shoot (rifles and pistols). I shot his XD45 (not bad--I like the trigger better than Glock, and the grip angle works better for me, but it's still a plastic pistol), and he shot my P7M10. Then we all left...and I put my name back on the list, as the waiting list had been whittled down to just two names. I went back out and did more bullseye practice, topping out at 4 hours today at the range, and 500 rounds (450 of .22LR, 50 .40S&W).

My slowfire scores aren't much to write home about, but I'm hoping to make up for that with my timed and rapid fire scores. In double-action, I can actually keep 85% of the shots in the black, with the other 15% in the next ring out. I also practiced single-action timed and rapid fire, and I was able to get up to similar accuracy. Cool beans--I should be a bit better at next week's MPL shoot.

No comments: