Saturday, March 15, 2008

Range Report (one day late)

After a whole day of suck at work, I decided that I needed to put lots of holes through paper. Well, really I decided this before I stepped out of the house, but the day of suck justified it. I frakkin' hate babysitting people, and the new I.T. guy (I don't really know why we hired him--liked him as a person, but his technical skills are almost non-existent) is so far failing to live up to my high standards...

Picked up my brother at his place and, after transacting a deal on a bicycle messenger bag and adding some food to our stomaches, headed to the NRA range. Today [Friday], for me, was about function-checking all of the new magazines I just recently got. We zeroed the 10/22 with some benchrest and agreed after 50 rounds of the Federal Bulk Pack that the 100 rounds of Remington we'd shot before the Federal was absolute crap.

I went ahead and shot off the remaining 40 rounds of the Federal blue-box ammo I had from Monday's Bullseye League, while my brother's fiancee, who just showed up, was getting processed. Then we set to work relearning her how to shoot (3-weeks between range visits does not tend to make the basics stick) on my Mk.II. We even introduced her to the art of the rifle (as she wants to qualify in rifles too), although she found the six-pound 10/22 a bit heavy. Funny, since when she was in ROTC or whatever it was in school, she would march around with an eleven-pound M1 Garand. But then again, she wasn't shooting it, just shouldering it.

While we were working on her pistol and rifle basics, my brother took my 92FS to the next lane (it was near closing time, and things were quieting down by then) and enjoyed 70 rounds of it. I stepped over and enjoyed 20, my brother took 10 more, and his fiancee took the remaining 20 to loosen up before going back to the Mk.II and finishing the last 20 rounds.

In total, we shot about 460 rounds tonight [Friday]. One of which resulted in an ejected case bouncing off the divider and getting caught between my glasses and the skin just south of my right eye. Buuurrrrrnnnn!!!

No comments: