Monday, March 3, 2008

Range Report: My First Rifle, my old stomping grounds

So I finally got around to going to the DMV to change my address and get a new license and re-register to vote, spurred by the impetus that I can't legally be transferred a firearm without the correct address...

Went down to Gilbert Small Arms and picked up my first rifle: a Ruger 10/22 Standard. Nothing fancy, no match triggers or bull barrels...or even a bolt-hold-open-on-last-round feature. But mine came with a scope (I bought it used for a pretty good price).

Then I decided, since I had already missed shooting at the NRA (the range is open to the public from 10AM-5PM on Mondays, and it was 7PM by the time I left work), I'll just shoot at Gilbert's. It's been a year since I shot there last, and man, I've forgotten how different it is in Gilbert's compared to the NRA range: it's quieter in there (gunfire is more muffled thanks to the sound absorption), but the capabilities are not as good as the NRA range (analog target carriers, no timed friend-foe-edge capability, only 25 yards), and adjustable lighting. It was a welcome change of pace.

My first 200 rounds were defensive shooting with my '905 and my 92FS--drawing from the holster, shooting, double-taps, Mozambique, emptying the gun, reloads, reholster...I even incorporated some dramatic movement--crouching--for the first time (defensive situations won't always be me and him, standing upright, square to each other 10 yards apart--in fact, I'd guess that it rarely happens that way). That was interesting.

Then it was time to try out the 10/22...the range isn't long enough to really put it through its paces, but I put 50 rounds through it anyways and decided that I'm better shooting lefty--must be all of that training with the marshmallow guns--my right arm steadies the rifle better than my left. But the trigger was what I expected it to be (heavy, having shot my friend's stock 10/22 a month ago) and the sights were pretty much spot-on, so I'm a happy camper.

And then, to finish up, I put 50 through the Mark II. I'm convinced that it's the extractor that is bring a big heap of suck to the table now...I'm still getting stove pipes and trapped cases, no matter how clean I've gotten it. Definitely not ready to compete in the Metro Pistol League...well, I do have a '41 I can use (and that is much better suited to it). And a '617 that could work, too. I think I'll try it next week...
I left the range just as the firearms safety class was starting the shooting portion of their instruction--I smiled, having done that very class over a year ago. The first time I shot .38 Specials, the first time I ever shot reloads, the first time I ever shot on command, the first (and only) time I ever shot a '10. Then I came out and paid the non-Walmart price for a case of 9mm and two bricks of .22LR--about $150. Damn. I've been spoiled by Walmart, whose prices are about three-quarters as expensive.

I also got a look at their range fees: it's $200 for an annual membership which would work about as well as that of the NRA range: go often enough (twice a month is about right) and it 'pays for itself' (I dislike that phrase, since I haven't gotten any money back from things that 'pay for themselves'). I like the NRA range for its capabilities, but I like Gilbert's for its other qualities (i.e. it's a gun shop as well as a range, it has rentals, the range is different (and the place where I shot a gun for the first time ever)). Plus it's open when the NRA range isn't...

No comments: