Sunday, March 2, 2008

(non) Range Report

So I went home and flipped on LiveJournal and saw Aciel's posts (yes, we're afraid, but then so are you; and I've "increased the reactivity" in both my household and my parents' household--actually my father started it--and we haven't had a...reaction...yet--or ever), which galvanized me into action: I would go to the range, and instead of concentrating on marksmanship (as I have been doing for the past week or so), I would concentrate on defense--drawing from concealment (or otherwise), aiming, and shooting. I even went so far as to put on an OWB holster and fill it with my Beretta 92FS (though it was unloaded). I drove to the range and I actually openly carried for a while--and this was blatant open-carry, too, not just uncovering when I enter an alcohol-serving restaurant; it was a full on, can't-miss-seeing-it-even-if-you-tried open-carry...at the range, where stuff like that is normal. Oh well.

So then I get inside and find that it's full of people! I should know this by now, but everyone shoots on the weekends. Everyone and their mothers. Literally. I put my name on the list, and then I got a call from Chia--wanna go guitar shopping now? I looked at the list: there were about ten people ahead of me, and the rule of thumb is that it's about 5 minutes per name, so I could've been waiting for almost an hour to shoot. So I took my name off the list and went and looked at guitars instead. Good times--the range'll always be there (unless the Anti-Gunners get to it first), the ammo won't shoot itself, and I'm a pretty decent shot when it comes to defensive work (at least, when the target is a piece of paper and not moving). I just need more practice.

No comments: