Monday, March 10, 2008

Range Report (belated)

Totally forgot to post a range report from yesterday's visit. After riding yesterday, I went to the range. Got there at 5:30, didn't get on the range until 6:00. Knowing the range closed at 7PM, I only had an hour to shoot. So I felt a little rushed.

I set to work, putting 90 rounds of that crappy Remington ammo through my 10/22 (with one dud round). I need to get some quality time to properly zero the scope and the iron sights. Lately, I've been going to the range and only getting about an hour each trip (whereas on earlier trips I'd get about two hours to do as I pleased). So I don't feel like I get any quality time...just get in, put lead downrange, and get out. That place is way too busy...

Then I put 100 rounds of the Remington through my Mk.II--it's reasonably accurate stuff: at 75 feet, I scored 6/10 in the 2" bullseye and the other 4 shots in the 9-ring around it, which is a score of 96--pretty good. Unfortunately, for the other 40 rounds I did at 75 feet, they weren't so good.

My '617 also got 100 rounds of the better, cleaner Federal ammo. Both single action and double action felt a lot nicer since I got in there. No sticky/rough/heavy spots, and let off was crisp and positive. Exactly what I wanted. There's still the "stacking" that comes when the various parts come into and leave contact, but it doesn't affect the sights staying on-target so much anymore. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as accurate as my Mk. II, no matter what ammo I put through it. I'm looking for 3" groupings at 75 feet, and so far, with whatever ammo I've tried, no dice. Maybe I oughtta try some CCI Minimags through it, just to see...

Finally, I fed 50 rounds through my '92, and it was flawless, as expected.

340 rounds in 1 hour. I'd have liked it to have been over 2 hours, but them's the breaks. Also, my various speed-loaders helped immensely: my Ultimate Cliploader helped to load both the Mk. II and the '617 (using the Mk. II's magazines), and my newly-acquired UpLULA helped to load all 5 '92 mags in less than a minute. Maybe I should pick up the DS-10-Speed speedloader for my '617. Now if there's a good speed-loader for the stock 10/22 '41 magazines, I'd be in business...

No comments: