Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Range Report

it seems every 2000 or 3000 trigger-pulls or so with my S&W 617, the single-action sear gets worn down to the point where it starts to get hair-trigger-y and the trigger-rebound spring actually kicks the trigger forward because there was enough pressure applied by my trigger finger to release the hammer, but not enough to keep the trigger held back. Then I have to open it up and touch it with a tool (a Dremel tool in my case--no es bueno) to get that edge back...I should definitely send the thing back to S&W to have it fixed...maybe get a target trigger and hammer installed? That'd be nice...

Anyways.

I started the range time off with 50 rounds put through my Taurus 905--the guy next to me was interested and asked how the recoil was, to which I replied "yeah, there's a bit". A bit is an understatement--the first two cylinderfuls reminded me why 9mm in a snubbie revolver is about all I can handle. But once I refamiliarized myself with the recoil and became focused on the paper threat, the recoil became quite manageable, and I even got good enough to start double-tapping. Cool beans.

Then I took out my new Ruger Mk. II Target and worked on bullseye-rapid-fire and sighting it in more. I dunno what it is, but it seems the whole rear sight-base needs to be over to the right about 1mm for the rear sight blade to be centered and zeroed on the bullseye.

And then...just to make this a day where I shoot the guns I rarely shoot, I took out my S&W 41 and remembered why I liked it: the trigger and ergonomics are far better than my Rugers.

To finish out, I put rounds through my S&W 617...and grouped better than my '41 or my Mk. II Target.

Good times.

No comments: