Monday, April 21, 2008

Bullseye Pistol #6: I'm Back, Baby!

I was apprehensive, anxious because I still hadn't had any meaningful practice since last week's disaster, but I still had the thought of the single high-scoring slow-fire target I shot last Thursday, so I figured that it was more in my head than in my hands. Last week I was frazzled, running around here and there, and I signed up for the first relay without thinking--thus not giving myself anytime to calm down and relax and get in-the-zone before going out. Thus, my terrible score.

Today was different. I got to the range with 45 minutes to spare, went out and put 50 rounds through my new Ruger Mk. II Competition Target and 100 through my S&W 617, which took me right to the end of Public Shoot. Cleaned up and signed up for the 2nd relay to give myself 40ish minutes to calm down and flush-out. Ended up talking turkey with "T.J." of the USMC team--turns out we'd posted in the same thread on TheHighRoad.org regarding 9mm revolvers, and we had similar (negative) experiences with Taurus' guns. Tonight he was going to use his Browning Buckmark, switching up from his Ruger pre-Mk. I (i.e. Ruger "Standard"), and I was going to shoot my S&W 617 (again). Ahh, what a nice way to relax, talking about the sport.

Then the 2nd Relay was called out, and we took up our lanes. As I set up I thought, "Today is good. No problems today." Our 3-minute prep period ended and our 20-minute slow-fire began. I was calm, but not calm enough--I ended up shooting a 151. Which, admittedly, is better than last week, but it was still a little disappointing to see a few fliers out in the 5- and 6- rings, with only two shots in the bullseye.

No matter, I'll make up for it in timed- and rapid-fire, I thought. For whatever reason (probably just the distance), I tend to do far better in timed- and rapid-fire than my slow-fire. Today was no exception: I scored 187 in my timed-fire (and I had a beautiful grouping of shots in the 10/X), and 182 in my rapid-fire.

Oh. Heck. Yes! I'm back! 520 for the night--and if I had actually gotten some practice, I might've done better in the slow-fire, which would've brought my score up even more. Next week! Next week!

No comments: