Thursday, April 17, 2008

Range Report

So I didn't get the job (they "were impressed by [my] qualifications" but they weren't quite the right fit for the position they were looking to fill). Shucks. Well, whatever--I was already planning on going to the range anyways. Not that I use range-time for stress relief (it hasn't ever worked for me in that capacity), but I remember an inspirational speaker we had in high-school who said and demonstrated that even if, inside, we feel crappy, if we put on a wide smile and act happy, we'll be happy.

Works well enough, when put in that context--I enjoy range time, especially when I share it with others. Shoot my ammo, make my guns dirty, use up my targets; just include me in on the fun, and it's all gravy. Alone, it's serious, down to work, training. I'm discovering that, even as I pursue inherently individual activities, if I can share them with someone else, it makes me happier. Happy cancels out crappy (to some degree). Happy means that things are looked at in a positive light, rather than a negative.

Happy means that, for the one slow-fire target I shot today with my revolver, I hit the paper 18 times out of 20, and hit the black 14 times. Close enough for Rock'n'Roll, baby! And it was more in showing off than in practice, too, for my brother had joined me tonight (his fiancee had to be at work early tomorrow, so she couldn't make it). He can shoot pretty well (gotta work on his grip, though--he's kinda stuck to that cup'n'saucer grip that does nothing for recoil control)--I took pleasure in showing him that I can shoot better =). Well of course I can: I visit the range almost ten times as often as he does--I go three times a week, he goes maybe once every three weeks.

We also got to shoot his coworker's Browning Buckmark .22 pistol--the trigger is definitely nicer than the Ruger Mk. II's trigger, no question. And the grip angle and feel were a lot more natural than the Mk. II. However: I don't like the fiber insert in the front sight--too distracting. And the trigger-reach felt a little long (this is because the magazine has a feed-angle much like the Ruger Mk. I/II/III, and so the grip has been expanded to provide a 1911-type angle, but to work with the Luger-type feed angle (the Ruger 22/45 is the same way). This then put the magazine release button just out of reach of my thumb. Other than those two gripes, it was a very nice feeling pistol indeed. Too bad field-stripping actually requires a hex-wrench.

And I'm also quite pleased to report that my brother and I shot off the rest of the brick that was causing me so many problems yesterday and today. We were getting lots of that when we were shooting the Buckmark: weak rounds, extract/eject problems (and thus feeding problems), dud rounds...ugh. So next time I shoot--fresh box. Hopefully, better quality, with only the usual handful of truly dud-rounds (the others require a second strike or striking on a different spot to light the primer), and no "primer-only" rounds.

Good times.

And dammit, the NRA range is closed on Saturday and Sunday--even if I do get back by 4PM on Sunday, my favorite place to shoot up here will be closed. Bugger!

No comments: