Thursday, April 10, 2008

Range Report

Took my co-worker out to the range, since he said he'd never shot a gun before. Went through the safety packet/worksheet, and paid the money.

Started off with the Ruger Mk. II to get him familiarized with the basic pistol operation and recoil--he did alright, for a first-timer. He was aiming kinda funny, bringing the pistol up to directly in line with his face and then tilting his head up and back to bring the sights in-line with his eye. This, of course, led to him wanting to tilt the pistol down to compensate, and then of course there was The Flinch.

We moved onto the Beretta 92FS--bigger bullet, bigger bang, more recoil. Once I got him to put the gun out at just above shoulder level and dip his head down to line up with the sights (and crank his hands back to compensate), his hits moved up from 12" low at 10' to just 5" low at 10'. Well done.

Then, finally, to round out his education, we took out my scoped Ruger 10/22 and put the target out to 50'--here he did very well. As well he should, since shooting a rifle is easier than shooting a handgun.

He left to go home, and I stayed on, putting 50 rounds through my friend's Glock 21, and then settling down to do some bullseye pistol work, trying to stay in-the-black at 25 yards in rapid-fire.

At no point did I have a target where I didn't have at least 4 shots outside of the black...*sigh*. Maybe I should get a cheap MP3 player, record the line-commands, and train to that.

No comments: