Thursday, May 1, 2008

Range Report

I go to the range now just to get trigger time and practice...I don't think there's much I can do to improve at this point. Of course, that could just be hubris. I do need some new glasses, as the anti-reflective coating on my current lenses is flaking off badly, and the prescription is nearly 3 years old. Maybe with new glasses, I can focus on the front sight more clearly (right now, everything is fuzzy...not just the rear sight and the target).

And I suppose I could work on being more consistent and steady--my current method is to lift the gun up, aim it, fire, aim, fire, aim, fire, and then put the gun down to rest. The idea being that I've already got my muscles set from the first initial aiming, and the second shot should be my best, and my third is riding the tail end of my strength, and then my arm starts to get fatigued after that and any more shots will be erratic. Perhaps, however, that I'm doing it wrong and I need to do it like the pros do: set up, aim, 1 shot, and then rest--for every shot in slow-fire. Though I don't have/use a scope, so how useful that technique will be with iron/open sights is debatable...

Anyways. Set up on lane 1, next to the other bullseye shooters practicing, and put 200 rounds downrange in slowfire, and 100 rounds downrange in rapid-fire. Then I got kicked off my lane (I'd been there for about 2 hours anyways).

I should get an MP3 player and load the bullseye range commands onto it and use that to practice, too.

No comments: