Monday, May 12, 2008

Bullseye...or not

my downward-slide continues, but mainly in the slowfire--137 today, my worst ever.

I made up for it somewhat with my timed-fire, only letting two shots out of the black for a 188 (second best), and a decent rapid-fire at 175 for a face-saving 500, but if I don't do something about it...

I need to go back to where this was new and wonderful and exciting, that feeling I get when I'm flying down a mountain on a bike or a snowboard. Just the exhilaration of movement, of excellence. It was definitely lacking while I was shooting today's slowfire. Oh, I can list a bunch of 'reasons' why I'm not doing so well--lack of meaningful practice, aging eyeglass prescription, my equipment wearing down--but in the end it all boils down to me. Bullseye is an internal sport, it's all mental. After the external factors have been accounted for (sights adjusted, bullet-weight taken into consideration, foot placement OK, etc.), the only variable thing left, the only thing uncontrollable, is the internal state.

Somehow I need to master that...

No comments: