Thursday, May 8, 2008

Range Report

got on the range and spent 30 rounds zero-ing my 617. Bench rested and everything...well, I didn't really bench the gun itself but my arms and the butt of the grip, so all I really had to concern myself (aside from the wobbly table) was the 2-handed grip and working the trigger. Turns out the sights were adjusted too high, for some reason, so I dropped it back down 2 clicks, and I was reliably getting 17/20 hits on paper, with 14 of those hits in the black (and good groupings in the 10/X rings).

Rapidfire is where it really helped out: my first RF target, I put 19/20 in the black. The rest of my RF practice was spent trying to duplicate that. Didn't quite work, though, as many of my shots were going low. They were all on-paper (I would hope so, with the target being so close) and all orbiting the black.

I actually got kicked off after an hour and a half because there were a lot of people there tonight, but it came at the right time. I was given the 5-minute warning just as I was running out of ammo to shoot, so it worked out anyways.

With tonight's shoot, my 617 has just surpassed 8,000 rounds through it, with 5,700 being shot in the past three months. Damn. At 10,000 rounds, I'll send it back to S&W for a tune-up and to get a target hammer and trigger fitted to it. So in about three weeks, basically.

No comments: