Thursday, May 15, 2008

Range Report

Started off with my 617 at 75 feet, aiming at the large target...when I wasn't getting good groups, I switched to the smaller target and my groups improved. 200 rounds thusly. Then I switched to my 17-8, 100 rounds of rapid-fire. Then back to the 617 (which is definitely heavier, because of the all stainless steel cylinder, versus the 17-8's aluminum cylinder) for 100 more rapid-fire rounds. Then to the 17-8 for 100 rounds slow-fire (having been sufficiently warmed up with rapid-fire), and then the 617 for 100 rounds slowfire. Finished up with the 17-8 with 100 rounds, rapid-fire. All told, 700 rounds, and I'd been on the range for about two and a half hours. It felt good.

The guys beside me in lane 2 were practicing their IDPA draws and such (getting sub 1-second-draw-and-fire-once drills in--wow!), and they looked over and saw my targets and said "man, that's f*cking scary!". Hopefully that meant that they were impressed by my ability to score good hits on a target 50 yards away with a revolver and open sights. =)

Today felt good because all I brought was the 17 and the 617, and so that's all I needed to focus on. No other guns in my bag with their associated magazines and stuff. Just bring what I'll shoot, shoot what I bring, and leave the rest at home. Shoot those another day. Maybe. Maybe after Tahoe and after this Bullseye thing lets up.

Plus, I want to experiment with the ammo to see what will give better grouping, to see just how much the "shotgun patterns" on my targets are me, and how much is the gun+ammo. Right off the bat, I know that having that cylinder-barrel gap and cheap bulk-ammo probably means that I'm losing velocity as the bullet jumps the gap, and that the powder charge/bullet weight may not be consistent, and Bullseye is all about being consistent (and consistenly good).

No comments: